When the content of the game The Elder Scrolls Online on Steam is not up to date, Steam has to update the game, but somehow it doesn’t. When launching the game from Steam by clicking “Play” button of the game in Steam, a small update box with title “ZeniMax Online…” showing a progress bar and a message “The elder scrolls online is preparing to install…“. The progress bar percent increases to 100% and close but the game just doesn’t launch.
- Open folder “C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp“
- Delete all folders with pattern “Ixxxxyyyzzz” where xxxxyyyzzz are 10 digits. These folders are created by Steam when open the small update box “ZeniMax Online…” stated in the paragraph above.
- Click the ‘Play’ button of the game in Steam again to create the latest “Ixxxxyyyzzz” folder
- Open that latest “Ixxxxyyyzzz” folder, navigate inside it to “InstallerData\Disk1\InstData\Resource1.zip\$IA_PROJECT_DIR$\src_path“
- There is a folder “Launcher” folder inside that ‘src_path’ folder inside the Resource1.zip file
- Copy this “Launcher” folder to “STEAM_INSTALLATION_DIR\steamapps\common\Zenimax Online\”
- Enter the newly copied “Launcher” folder, run “Bethesda.net_Launcher.exe” and wait for it to update the game properly.
- After the above work-around update, launch the game in Steam as usual.
- Or open “STEAM_INSTALLATION_DIR\steamapps\common\Zenimax Online\Launcher\Bethesda.net_Launcher.exe“
It is suggested to run the game through Steam instead of running the laucher ‘Bethesda.net_Launcher.exe‘ directly as Steam Big Picture supports DualShock4 and Steam Controller gamepads.