Sublime Text 3 is an excellent light-weight code editor for software developers, with these pros and cons:
- Free, with an alert about purchasing sometimes
- Ready to use syntax highlighters for many languages
- Customisable syntax highlighters, even creating new syntax for unknown language by Sublime Text
- Line numbers, folding buttons, right margin indicator (vertical line on the right)
- Scrollable document mini-map
- Opened document list panel (useful when too many files are opened, tabs will take up a lot of screen space)
- Indentation markers as vertical lines in dim colour in the background
- Easy switching between text encodings, line endings, tab sizes
- Able to open a whole folder to code without using a file explorer (eg. Windows Explorer)
- Multi-carets, multiple text selections
- Quick text finding in multiple files, select a text to do a quick search and highlighting; double click an identifier to highlight occurrences.
- Search and replace with regular expressions
- Find in files and folders without external tool (eg. Total Commander)
- Python console to install plug-ins and do other operations; powerful plug-in ecosystem known as Package Control: http://packagecontrol.io
- Editor layout to open up to 4 columns, 3 rows, or grid of 4 document panes.
- Line wrapping feature, and spell check.
- Line bookmarks, jump to matching bracket
- Build with external compilers and show results
- Easy to create new plug-ins with built-in editor, easy to create new language syntax highlighting with regular expressions of multiple depths
- Nice and clear default font, easy to differentiate stuff in code
- Very fast code editor as texts are shown in native window, not like some other editors based on Chromium showing texts in HTML mode
- Free but with purchasing alert sometimes
- No built-in hex editor although files with null bytes are opened in hex view mode by default
- No horizontal ruler showing column numbers (a feature in PsPad)
- No toolbar as Sublime Text is more focused on keyboard
- Real bad thing: Sublime Text is not supporting printing file to printer; users have to use plug-in to export to another file format to print!